The holidays are here again, let's share our worst Christmas stories

It is that magical time of year when we gather together with family, friends, and loved ones to celebrate the season, whatever that may mean to you. We don't really celebrate at our house, I have never liked the way that my family is obsessed with the commercial side of it. I long for holidays where the family can gather together for a good meal, shared stories and presents that we made or were very thoughtful.

In my family the idea of a traditional Christmas does not exist. I grew up lower middle class I would say, rather than poor. While my mother was a single mother we always had pretty substantial Christmases, this was mostly due to her putting herself into debt every year. However, by doing this she made us into brats.

One of my worst memories of holiday pasts was when I was 12 or 13 I believe and we had a family Christmas party, ( as many families due in order to get together with the extended family), and I received a gift that I found atrocious, a plain hunter green Hanes crewneck sweatshirt. I made a fit as soon as I opened this, saying rude things like" I don't want this, everyone got better gifts than I did." I know that I hurt the feelings of the person that bought this for me, and at this time did not care. I hate the fact that it has taken me years to realize that I was a selfish brat, that only cared about things as a child.

Something similar to this:
I no longer feel this way about items, I may not like them, but I would never say this in front of anyone. I wait until I get home to get rid of the gift, or simply donate it. If someone took their hard-earned money and time to buy me something, I appreciate it.

Anyways, I hope everyone has a great holiday, no matter what you celebrate, and hope the last week of 2014 goes well for you, (I will be working, and maybe trying to do some laundry that I have seriously put off.)

A Happy Yule, a Happy Chanukah, a Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, and a Happy Winter to all!

 
Here's a little something that I thought was funny! 



Comments

Popular Posts